7 September 2003
The Sunday Mirror

EXCLUSIVE How many more times will this man be let out of prison to attack women?

A SEX assault victim was last night horrified to learn that the serial offender who attacked her has been set free early - for the THIRD time.

Gregory Beach, 33, was released after only two years and five months despite the fact that he reoffended twice before when freed.

Beach broke into Claire Murray's house, dragged her into her garden and subjected her to a sickening indecent assault.

At the time he was living in a bail hostel after being freed from prison where he had been serving his second term behind bars for sex attacks on women. Now he is out for a third time, living on a housing estate packed with young families and wandering unsupervised around local shops.

When Beach was jailed for attacking Claire, an expert's report damned him as "a habitual sexual offender simply unable to control his deviant urges".

Despite this he was released early after serving just over half of his four-year sentence.

Because of loopholes in the law and lax sentencing he is once more on the loose - sparking fury among campaigners and MPs.

The outcry comes after pervert James Taylor was jailed for just five years this week for the rape of a baby girl.

Reliving the night Beach attacked her, Claire, 25, told the Sunday Mirror: "I went to the kitchen and I saw this man going towards the back door.

"I was rooted to the spot in fear. He grabbed me and started kissing me and tried to get my clothes off.

"He was pulling my knickers down and put his hand over my mouth. I was thinking, 'I can't escape, it's going to happen, he's going to rape me'.

"I could feel myself giving up as he got me out the back door.

"I had one last try at getting away. Somehow I managed it. He would have raped me if I hadn't."

Claire, whose name we have changed to protect her anonymity, said: "I can't understand why he has been let out early again. I feel totally and utterly betrayed."

Beach struck at Claire's home in Oxford on October 15, 2000 and was jailed in March, 2001, for four years for the indecent assault.

He was freed a fortnight ago with time off for good behaviour.

Before attacking Claire, Beach had been released from jail in December, 1998. He was three years and seven months into a six-year jail term for a sex attack on a nanny.

The nanny, who we are naming only as Michelle, was attacked two days before Christmas in 1994.

Beach told her he had a knife and forced her twice to perform oral sex on him - in front of the two-year-old child she was caring for. Half-way through the ordeal, Michelle, 26 at the time, was physically sick. Yet still Beach persisted and Michelle was sick again. Only the return of the child's parents spared her being raped.

On his release from prison for this attack, Beach was sent to a probation hostel 100 yards from Claire's house.

Claire said: "I never even knew it was there. It sends shivers down my spine to think about it.

"After what that woman went through it just beggars belief that he was able to break into my house and attack me, too."

But even Michelle was not Beach's first victim.

He had repeatedly cornered women in lifts or in dark corners after following them home.

Then, in August 1987, 17-year-old Beach pleaded guilty to five indecent assaults on five women living on the same council estate as him in Battersea, South West London.

He was sentenced to three years in youth custody. He was set free just a year later.

Now, released from Bullingdon Jail in Oxfordshire, he has been housed in yet another hostel in yet another residential area.

The Sunday Mirror is aware of the location. For the last two weeks our reporters have watched as Beach wanders the neighbourhood unchecked. No one at the hostel knows where he is going and as long as he is back for the 11pm curfew no questions are asked. His room at the hostel looks out on to green space where children play football and ride their bikes. Beach has been on sex offender treatment programmes, but a report by forensic psychologist Andrew Bates says he has not changed. The report to the judge who dealt with Beach's last offence says: "Mr Beach is simply unable to control his deviant urges and does not respond to the treatment that is offered him."

It adds: "He is an intelligent man who had learned the methods of avoiding re-offence but simply has chosen not to apply them. I am unable to make any recommendations as he is simply unable to control his deviant urges."

It also says: "Working on deviant sexual fantasies requires very strong commitment on the part of the offender and this would not seem to be present in this case. Mr Beach's dysfunctional response to stress is to sexually fantasise and then offend sexually and this is what he chose to do..." A prison source said: "Beach has had more treatment this time, but no one is convinced. He is still a risk to every woman."

During his last spell in prison Beach pulled out of a treatment programme after 10 months.

The source added: "It is a worrying situation. The truth is that no woman is safe while he's out there."

At present, there is no law to stop untreatable sex offenders being released after serving as much of their sentence as ordinary prisoners - normally half if they behave well. Which is why men like Paul Roson, Raymond Hewlett and Graham Rankine - on the right-were allowed out to re-offend.

Legislation going through Parliament will enable sex offenders to be kept in jail indefinitely if thought to be a danger to the public. But former Shadow Home Secretary Ann Widdecombe said: "There is nothing at all wrong with the law but a lot wrong with the way it is being implemented."

Norman Brennan, of the Victims of Crime Trust, said: "The maximum sentence for indecent assault is 10 years. Isn't it time some of these people were given higher sentences?"

And Sue Griffiths, of charity Rape Crisis, said: "Our judges are not rooted in this world. Beach should definitely still be behind bars."

The outcry comes amid the row over baby rapist Taylor, 43, of Falkirk, Stirlingshire, who took photographs of himself in the act.

Judge Lord Reed refused to comment on the lenient sentence. But Scotland's top law official, Lord Advocate Colin Boyd QC, has ordered a report into the case.

AUG 1987

Three years in youth custody for sex attacks on five women

AUG 1988

after 12 months

MAY 1995

Six years for sex assault on nanny in front of child, aged 2

DEC 1998

after 43 months

MAR 2001

Four years for indecently assaulting a woman at home

AUG 2003

after 32 months





PERVERT Robson has been sent to prison three times for a string of horrific sex attacks. Each time he has been allowed back into the community he has committed more crimes on women and children.

Robson, also known as Tony Swift, was first sent to jail for sex attacks on two girls aged 11 and 12. He was sentenced to four years in prison. But just four months after his release in 1990, he abducted and sexually assaulted an eight-year-old girl in Morecambe, Lancs.

Robson was then sentenced to eight years for abduction and assault. He was released in September 1996, and in June 1997 he was jailed for five years for falsely imprisoning a 34-year-old woman.

He was released just three years into his sentence in February 2000, despite begging to be kept in jail.

Two weeks later, he struck again, breaking into a young woman's home before tying her up and subjecting her to a sexual attack at knifepoint.

He was arrested two days later, and in August 2000 was given two life sentences at Oxford Crown Court for two charges of attempted rape and two of indecent assault. He could be paroled nine years into his sentence.



SICK Hewlett remains at large despite committing a string of attacks against women and children.

Hewlett, 58, first struck in 1972 when he lured his neighbour's 12-year-old daughter into his car, knocked her out with paint thinner and raped her.

He was sentenced to 18 months' jail at Leeds Crown Court in 1973, but served just 12.

In 1978 he attempted to rape a girl of 14, holding a gun to her head, and was jailed for four years.

After serving 16 months, he was allowed out yet again. On New Year's Day, 1988, Hewlett kidnapped and indecently assaulted a 14-year-old girl on her paper round.He was jailed for six years at Mold Crown Court.

Hewlett was granted home leave from Stoken Prison, Leicestershire, in 1990, but absconded. He was arrested in 1991 and was jailed.

In 1992 he was released and questioned over the murder of schoolgirl Lesley Molseed.

He was bailed to reappear at the police station in February, 1993, but fled to Ireland.

Charges were dropped and police have lost track of him. He is wanted for questioning over various child abductions.



EVIL Rankine was finally given two life sentences in May 2000 after a lifelong campaign of hate against women.

Rankine was 18 when he was first arrested for having unlawful sex with a girl of 13 at a hotel.

In 1976, while on bail for that offence, he carried out his first rape - on a 16-year-old girl.

Six weeks later he attacked another girl, this time aged 17.

For all three offences he was sent to borstal for just six months.

When released, Rankine held an 18-year-old virgin hostage in his Southampton bedsit for hours and subjected her to an horrific rape.

He was remanded in custody by magistrates only to strike again three months later...after being granted bail by a judge.

This time his victim was a 17-year-old girl, who he raped in the same bedsit. He was given a life sentence in 1989.

In 1999 he was released on licence after just 10 years - and almost immediately raped a 30-year-old Oxford University lecturer.

During the attack he repeatedly smashed her head against a wall as she begged for mercy.
Continue Reading... Labels: , ,

Molseed murder team throws the net wider


11 April 2003
Rochdale Observer
Adam Derbyshire

Murder squad detectives have descended on Rochdale again as the hunt for Lesley Molseed's killer intensifies. Police have taken mouth swabs from dozens of men in the town after West Yorkshire Police disclosed this week that, after a fresh appeal, 90 people are listed as suspects for the 1975 killing of the 11-year-old. It is believed a significant chunk of those under suspicion are still living in the area. In fact, a top detective is convinced the murderer comes from Rochdale.
Continue Reading... Labels: , , , , , ,

All the family ever wanted is justice


7 February 2003
Rochdale Observer

Before the Crimewatch programme went out on Wednesday evening, Lesley's sister, Julie Anderson, said that in light of the latest developments, the family were "just trying to get on with it the best way we can''. She added: "At the moment we are just concentrating on what's happening tonight''. With news that detectives now had a DNA profile of Lesley's killer, the Observer was inundated with requests from the national media for further information and background. Reporter Diane Leach, who has been in close contact with Lesley's family over recent years, was interviewed by Mike McCarthy of Sky News.
Continue Reading... Labels: , , , , ,

TV slot calls up murder leads


6 February 2003
Rochdale Observer
Adam Derbyshire

Murder squad detectives are pursuing a host of fresh leads as the hunt for Lesley Molseed's killer intensifies. Sensational new DNA evidence has given the 27-year-old inquiry an adrenaline boost and police say they will never have a better chance of cracking the case. Now the net could be closing in on the killer after an appeal on BBC's Crimewatch programme yielded more than 200 calls.
Continue Reading... Labels: , , , , ,

Stefan, the other victim of killer who is still free


5 February 2003
Manchester Evening News
Nicola Dowling

MILD-mannered Stefan Kiszko is a victim who will never see the killer of Lesley Molseed brought to justice. He died in December 1993, less than two years after his release from prison when scientific evidence proved he was not the man who attacked her. He was just 42.
Continue Reading... Labels: , , , , ,

DNA test clears murder suspect


February 05, 2003
Rochdale Observer
Adam Derbyshire

The prime suspect in the Lesley Molseed murder inquiry has been cleared as a result of sensational new DNA evidence, it can be revealed today. Convicted paedophile Raymond Hewlett - the man named in a 1997 book - is not the killer of the 11-year-old schoolgirl who was abducted from Stiups Lane, Turf Hill, on 5 October 1975.

Her body was found three days later on desolate moorland above the A627 Oldham-to-Halifax Road. She had been stabbed 12 times. The man convicted of her murder, Rochdale Inland Revenue clerk, Stefan Kiszko, was cleared of the crime by Appeal Court judges in February 1992 after spending 16 years in prison. He died shortly afterwards.

Detectives now have a DNA profile of the murderer after a police forensic team used pioneering new techniques to test semen recovered at the scene. Today, West Yorkshire Police are launching a major appeal in a bid to finally trap her killer and bring him to justice after 27 years. The story will feature in tonight's Crimewatch programme on BBC1

Detective Chief Superintendent Max Mclean, who is in charge of the investigation, said: "Raymond Hewlett has been named as a suspect in the past. But I can categorically state that he is not the killer. "He does not match the DNA profile we have."

Mr Mclean recovered the sample from a criminal evidence laboratory in Wetherby soon after he was appointed to head the investigation. He said: "I asked the forensic team if they had any material left from the original murder investigation. We uncovered a semen sample and from this we managed to acquire a DNA profile.

"This is the biggest breakthrough in this inquiry to date. We will never have a better opportunity to crack this case than we do now."

Now, Mr Mclean is urging Rochdale's townsfolk to come forward with names of people they suspect murdered Lesley. "It may be that someone has harboured a suspicion for 27 years that a friend, relative, or acquaintance could have killed this little girl. We now have the ability, through the development of scientific methods to eliminate these people once and for all. It is an extremely simple procedure, which involves us taking a mouth swab. We have already eliminated 300 people and are continuing to work through our list of suspects."

Mr Mclean even wants the name of suspects who are now dead. "It could be a husband, boyfriend, partner, or brother. There are simple scientific tests we can undertake to determine whether they are responsible for her death. I want to stress to people that it is impossible for Stefan Kiszko to have been involved in this crime. Get the image out of your mind. He was not the killer.

"This is a murder inquiry that West Yorkshire Police are desperate to solve. We know we have got it wrong in the past and we would dearly love to put that right both for the Molseed family and the memory of Stefan Kiszko."

Anyone with information is urged to contact the incident room at Halifax police station on 01422 337047.
BBC1 will broadcast the appeal - including an interview with Lesley's mum April - on Crimewatch tonight at 9pm.
Continue Reading... Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Tragic trail begain with a trip for a loaf


5 February 2003
Rochdale Observer

Continue Reading... Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Horror cries out for justice 28 years on


4 February 2003
Yorkshire Post

A simple errand to buy her mum a loaf of bread from a local shop led to one of the biggest manhunts in history. Lesley Molseed, a slightly built 11-year-old girl, was abducted and sexually assaulted before being stabbed to death on a remote moor in 1975. Her death shocked a nation but the conviction of tax clerk Stefan Kiszko drew the matter to a close for a time. However, forensic evidence proved conclusively he could not have been Lesley's killer and he was freed in 1992 after spending 16 years in jail.
Continue Reading... Labels: , , , , , , , ,

DNA evidence could nail Lesley's killer


4 February 2003
Yorkshire Post

Detectives hunting the killer of a schoolgirl who was murdered 27 years ago announced a dramatic breakthrough in their investigation yesterday. They now have a DNA profile from semen left at the scene of the crime by, police believe, the killer of 11-year-old Lesley Molseed. And they revealed that their prime suspect, convicted child abuser Raymond Hewlett, formerly of Todmorden, was no longer being investigated in connection with the inquiry. The DNA profile has categorically ruled him out. The senior investigating officer in charge of the investigation, Det Chief Supt Max Mclean, of West Yorkshire Police, said he was hoping the development would catch the killer.
Continue Reading... Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Return to top of page Copyright © 2010 | Flash News Converted into Blogger Template by HackTutors